Saturday, December 27, 2014

We're expecting!!!!

That's right! I had a sneaky suspicion I was pregnant before I even got a positive pregnancy test result. My chest was killing me before I even took a positive pregnancy test! We went to Allison and Craig's baby shower that Saturday and I had taken a negative test, so when people kept asking if I was pregnant yet I said no honestly, because I am the WORST at keeping secrets/surprises!!!

I tend to ramble (a lot) and give too many details... so I apologize for the extremely long posts. Might as well give you a heads up to get your snacks and beverages handy while you ready through this! :)

Spreading the news:
So, Paul, his parents and I were discussing taking a trip to Alaska in June on a motorcycle! I knew we would have to revisit this whole idea now that we knew I was pregnant. Paul didn't see anything wrong with me still going. The Doctor advised against it and Kelly said she wouldn't do it. Thank goodness we didn't still plan on it, because I was so sick and it would've been a miserable time for me - therefore Paul too! So, the day after I found out my dad wanted to go to the branch manager and tell him that I was only going to work for him, I told him let's hold off on that and he asked why and I just said, just because. I couldn't tell him yet, because Paul and I decided to tell our parents around 8 weeks, but then this made me realize I should probably explain why I told my dad "lets wait" and we wanted his parents to know why we weren't doing the motorcycle trip. The next day I went to my audiologist after work and showed up at my mom's crying, because the audiologist wasn't very helpful with my hearing aid situation (they kept whistling even without a hand up by my ear causing feedback), then she just said, "well if you think of anything let me know"! I just started crying and she felt bad, but not bad enough to fix the hearing aid. So, I left upset. (They are expensive and it stinks to have paid so much and have so many issues!!! I've never had issues like this in the past with my old audiologist or hearing aids (she says I got lucky - really? 15 years of lucky??), so I get pretty upset and frustrated when I can't hear normal - well my kind of normal, ha.) Anyway, I told my mom the whole hearing aid fiasco and she felt bad, then I told her about how dad wanted me to quit working for the branch and just work for him, but I wasn't sure that was the best thing to do at this time and that I didn't know what to do (was crying at this point). When she asked why, I told her I was pregnant and started crying all over again! Ha. She was so happy, so that made me happier despite my extreme frustration with my hearing aids. Then on Good Friday I went to Tucson with Cheryl and Lauren Valledor. I grew up watching Lauren and her older brother, so was so excited to join them for a UofA tour!!! I even showed Lauren the Gamma Phi house afterwards. We went to Frog's for lunch and it was fabulous, I so wanted to tell them I was pregnant, but Paul and I agreed to wait on telling friends until we told our parents. So, then I dropped Cheryl and Lauren off and went to my parents' house again. My dad, mom and Mckaley were in the backyard. I looked at my dad and said, you know how you want me to work for you, well I don't think that the timing is good, because I'm pregnant quietly so Mckaley couldn't hear, I couldn't tell her before my brother and plus it was too early to tell her. My dad started laughing and hugging me. I finally felt relived to tell both of them, like I said I'm the WORST at keeping secrets, so keeping this secret made me a little grumpy/irritable sometimes, I think! Ha. I felt like I was lying all the time! So, that weekend I met up with Allison and Ashley at Scottsdale Fashion Square. I wanted to tell them so bad or at least Al, but I kept chickening out! Al was still pregnant at this time with Ellie! So, I'd sometimes ask random questions and kept smiling weirdly during the whole afternoon. I kept hanging out and shopping with them, hoping I'd work up the courage to finally tell them. Ha. Allison later told me that she thought I was that day, but never said anything, so ignored it. I later asked her to stop by after her baby shower in Mesa that month. When she came by, I was 5 weeks and told her! I forget how I brought it up, but she started crying and said she knew it and Craig (her husband) told her she was crazy for guessing that's why I wanted her to stop by! (She knows me so well!) I told her I was feeling really well and she warned me that morning sickness creeps up around 6 weeks... I told her I was feeling great, so wasn't worried! ... Whoa. Then towards the end of week 5 I was feeling bad/extremely nauseous! The throwing up didn't come until week 7, I believe. Then I was throwing up every day, I was looking on Pinterest for every home remedy to cure morning sickness! I especially wasn't a fan of puking at work! I finally told my brother at work early June, because I couldn't keep the secret anymore! He was pretty excited/happy for us and it was sweet of him to show it. I told my co-worker, Linda, earlier too, because she was having a hard time at work and I thought it would cheer her up. She was an older women who had been the office receptionist for many years, back when I would come visit my dad during high school. I'm so glad I got to tell her, because in the middle of June she passed away. My heart felt happy that I happened to share the news and get a big hug from her before she passed. She was a very sweet lady and we got along great... So, we slowly started telling our family in May/June and friends too. I could tell you when and where I told each person, but that would get boring! ;)

  • Kimee - nail salon getting pedicures before she left for her residency in WA.
  • Emily - Postino's for her late birthday treat.
  • Hamrocks, Millers and the rest of the Herrs got the hear the news at my brother's birthday celebration via a card that read "to the coolest Uncle". Sarah looked at it and got it right away, Jay man was pretty confused, but caught on once Sarah clapped and hugged me! Ha. 
  • Paul got to tell his siblings, except for Tim, since I called Katie up. When I told her she was shocked and kept saying "can I tell her, can I tell her" - then I said "you are too, huh?!?!?" So, Tim and Katie told me they were expecting and their due date was 6 days before ours! Whoa!!! How cool! - Annabelle was born two days after Emma! :)
  • The Weeks all found out after Ellie was born and I kept texting Allison while she was in the hospital. Allison's sister read one of Al's text's aloud and then one of them happened to be about me being pregnant (because I had been pretty sick at this point and was wanting to get up there to visit her, but was having a hard time getting there due to feeling sick). Ha. Glad they got to have that moment of finding out together, so I'm glad Ashley read Al's text. :) I'll just make sure never to text Allison about a surprise party or something for Ash! Ha.
  • Tessie - we kept playing phone tag and missing each other, so on Mother's day, I sent her a text wishing her a happy mother's day from one mom to another! She wrote back that she was jumping up and down after church with excitement and hoping Navy would decide to come out from all that jumping around (Navy decided to arrive late and was born the next day!).
  • Mary (Paul's sister) - she invited me to a Women's expo downtown Phoenix with her friend, so I went and of course they were handing out little beverages and I offered mine to Mary. She knows me well and when she realized I was giving them to her, I finally explained, yes - I can't have those because I'm pregnant! She was so sweet about it and excited for us! 
So, now the news is (was) out! Wednesday, April 16th the day we found out we were pregnant! I took a few tests before then due to my suspicion and happened to call Allison earlier that week and told her how I thought it was hilarious that I pulled out a used pregnancy test in the bag of unused tests she gave me! She said Craig wanted to keep one and then asked why I was going through those. I told her I was organizing and putting them somewhere else. Then she said, well when you do take one, make sure it's in the morning. Good to know since I kept taking them after work. So, as I was giving Paul a kiss goodbye that morning, he asked what the test said and I said, what test and how did he know. He said he heard me opening one. Ha. Man, that boy has some good ears!!! So, I told him and he was so happy, but then I had to go to work, so it wasn't the most fun way to give him the news. But I knew I wouldn't be able to hold it in all day until he got home late that night, so it was probably best that I told him before I left for work! :)


Cute story - after I got home from having lunch and shopping with Allison and her sister, Ashley, Paul was looking up baby names! :) We had a lot of boy names and very few girls names. I thought it was sweet he was already looking into names for our baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment